Catoctin Wildlife Preserve is a private, professionally operated facility. We insist on a drug-free facility.
See a list of our institution’s and personnel’s credentials and professional affiliations below.
Responsible for the physical and mental well being over 700 animals in the Poikilothermic, Homeothermic and Safari departments. Supervises a staff of 10 to 16 full time and part time animal care persons and 10 to 14 seasonal/part timers. Reports to Asst. Director of Zoological Affairs. At least 5 years supervisory experience managing a public collection in a medium sized zoological facility required. College degree in biology or related field or ten years experience in zoo field also required. Salary commensurate with experience and competitive in the field. Please do not apply if you do not have the required experiences.
Guest Services Manager for active, busy workplace.
- Overseeing small-medium group of seasonal staff
- Respond to guest needs, requests, and complaints
- Some bookkeeping (Quick-books)
- Assisting with Memberships and Guest Services daily activities
- Communicate pertinent guest information to designated departments
- Previous experience in customer service, or other related fields
- Experience with the Photoshop, Illustrator, Publisher and Ouick-books software is a must
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Part time year round 20-30 hours/week. Must have QuickBooks experience.
Assists Treasurer with submission of payroll and maintenance of accounts payable and check writing. Flexible schedule. Insurance and paid vacation available. Preference given to seasoned experienced individuals. Competitive hourly remuneration dependent on experience.
Position starts March 2019
Apply by email with experiences, references and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org
Will begin hiring for our Visitor Service Department late February. Please contact Brandi McKenzie at email@example.com for more information.
Animal Care Entry Level Animal Care $10.25
Experienced Animal Care $11.25
• Animal observations-appetite, habits, disposition and physical appearance • Inspect enclosures, fencing, exhibit furniture for cleanliness and upkeep, preform minor repairs as needed. • Diet preparation and distribution • Sanitation including pressure washing • Provide species appropriate and approved enrichment • Record keeping • Assist with medical procedures and administer medication as directed • Preform other duties as assigned
• Provide regular updates to the Curator on the condition and status of the animals in your area • Attend general staff meetings • Promote the Preserves Mission • Attend all staff training sessions as directed • Communicate with Curator and team members • Give Keeper Chats as directed • Share approved information and activities with our visiting public
• Must be able to carry up to 50 pounds. Physical demands are in excess of those for sedentary work; must be able to remain on feet for periods of time, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, push, pull, climb, balance; • Must be able to travel large areas on foot (1 mile at a time) • Weekends and Holidays are a must • 40 +/- weeks • Must be able to work in all weather conditions, including heat/humidity, cold temperatures and wet or muddy conditions • Must be able to stand and remain active for an eight-ten hour shift • Able to be exposed to bleach and detergents
Please contact Laurie Hahn at Lhahn@cwpzoo.com
Long-term efforts to sustain and expand the population of animals in protected environments have resulted in successfully breeding multiple generations of rare and endangered animals, including:
Ring-tailed and Ruffed Lemurs, Bengal Tigers, Sun Bears, Scarlet Macaws, Cottontop Tamarins, Geoffroy’s Marmosets, Jaguars, Australian Dingos, Asian Fishing Cats, Yellow-fronted Amazon Parrots, Swinhoe Pheasants, Booted Macaques, Tonkean Macaques, Yellow Anaconda and Monocle Cobra.
Our Maryland facility is:
- Institutional Member of the American Association of Zookeepers and a participating facility in American Association of Zoos and Aquariums Studbook records
- Accredited Member of the Zoological Association of America (ZAA)
- A member of the Tourism Council of Frederick County and the Maryland Travel Council
- A member of the Better Business Bureau and the Frederick County Chamber of Commerce
- Founded the International Herpetological Symposium
- Organized and hosted the First Venomous Animal Husbandry and Safety Course in conjunction with the Frederick Community College and the American Association of Zookeepers
- Licensed by: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Inspection Services; U.S. Department of the Interior Animal, Fish and Wildlife Division; U.S. Department of Natural Resources of Maryland
- A participating facility in the Suitcase for Survival program hosted by the U.S. Department of Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service.
- Featured in media including the Washington Post, Washington Times, Frederick News-Post, Hagerstown Herald, Baltimore Sun, Martinsburg Journal, WHAG TV 25, Hagerstown; and WJZ TV 13, Baltimore; Fox 45
- Provides live animal programs for National Geographic Museum Explorers Hall, National Academy of Sciences, Johns Hopkins Wilderness Survival Course students, National Capital Area Boy Scouts of America Cub Scout day camps, and hundreds of schools and learning centers throughout Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C.
Our staff members regularly attend professional conferences and continuing training, including those sponsored by:
- International Zoo Design Symposium
- International Herpetological Congress
- The American Association of Zookeepers
- The American Association of Zoo Horticulturists
- The American Association of Zoo Veterinarians
- The American Association of Zoos and Aquariums
- Federation of Aviculturists
- The Feline Conservation Federation
- 1st University of Nebraska Medical School Symposium on Snakebites in the New Millennium
- The Zoological Association of America
- USDA Big Cat Symposium
- The International Turtle Alliance
Send us a cover letter, your resume,
Catoctin Zoo, Attention R. Hahn, 13019 Catoctin Furnace Rd., Thurmont, MD 21788.
Or email materials to firstname.lastname@example.org